Monday, November 1, 2010

At the Market

From the Pyramids we drove across town to the market where Jimmy dropped us off and left us too it. As far as I'm concerened it was the best bit of the day and I can't wait to go back there!
The kiosks were great, but as we went deeper the products got tackier and tackier. Lots of plastic toys and what I would call 'tat'. There were spices and jumpers and headscarves, some very cheap ladies underwear and stuff for tourists.

The men on the stalls haggled, in fact this was why Richard wanted to go. So we had an exciting time - it was actually good fun if you realise you will be ripped off whatever happens. Maddy got some hand blown perfume bottles foe 18 LE (£2) and Richard got a box and some trousers. I got a wallet for 15 LE that the money fits in.


One bunch of vendors were so funny, their opening line was "how can I take your money from you?" I nearly sold Maddy to one of them, he asked how many camels I wanted for her, when I suggested 10 he offered a million!
The downside of these cheerful vendors was it made me smile, which just attracted the other vendors and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I was feeling genuinely happy! A must for anyone who visits us!




1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'd go to the markets with you just to see you smile :) Looks like good fun though, something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete